Orthopaedic service in Malaysia started with the establishment of the first orthopaedic unit at Kuala Lumpur General Hospital after the second world war in 1949.
The first head of unit was Dr. J A P Cameron, a general surgeon with M. Ch. Orth. of Liverpool. He was succeeded by Dr. O'Malley in 1952, followed by Dr. Donald Gunn in 1955.
Dr Abdul Majid Ismail was our first local orthopaedic surgeon after obtaining the M. Ch. Orth. from Liverpool in 1957. When Dr Donald Gunn left for Singapore in 1957,
again Dr O' Malley became the head for another 2 years before Dr Abdul Majid took over from him in 1959.